If sinners be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our bodies. If they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees. Let no one go there unwarned and unprayed for. ~ Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Monday, July 30

A day in the life of...

Two weeks ago we had a non-stop adventure of a culture exchange (pictures and stories coming soon), the week after that I taught English in the mornings, this past weekend I had a "girls only club" with Joelle because Scott had to spend the weekend in the big city....
and now I'm back to another teaching week.

Busy but happy!

I have LOVED being back in the teaching saddle again.  Don't know what it is, but seeing the light bulb come on in their little faces is such a joy for me.

So, Scott has been Mr. Mom for me in the mornings while I teach and he sent me a picture-message from his phone one morning:
His caption said, "I heard Joelle screaming "FISH! FISH!" and looked and saw that she had drawn this:"
Funny story: I was intrigued by my bff's daughter, Mecaden, who is all the time drawing amazing things on her magnadoodle.... so when I saw one at the store I snatched it up.  Thanks for the great idea, Mecaden!


Lately I have developed an obsession for these dumplings in soup called "chao shou" and it's getting pretty serious.  I was so distracted by my bowl of dumplings that I didn't notice Joelle had grabbed my rare treat: sprite in a bottle.  The only reason I looked over is because she was saying "Memanade!" (lemonade)  Little snot.  That's mommy's memanade.

Our pool has opened, and I've only braved the crowded waters twice.  The second time was much better because most of the people who were there had already harassed her enough the first time we came.  That adorable suit is a love-me-down from our sweet friends who moved back to the States. Today as Joelle was walking in the kiddie part, she got silly and put her face in the water- and came up coughing but then cackled and said "Mommy! water... nose!"


After swimming in our pink cover-ups: 


My co-teacher, Laura.  This girl is wild and funny and silly and blunt. My breath of fresh air every day.

Ah, my classroom.  The best part of it so far has been letting them earn fake money for a week and then using that money to go shopping in my "store".  They bought water guns, remote control cars, pool floaties, water balloons, candy, suction-dart guns, girly things and some small stuff.


Girl, you got the look.

A rare treat, made possible from several coincidental things coming together: first, I made bread. The next day we went to an import store and we bought butter, sliced ham (WHAT?!) and we were given three giant blocks of Velveeta cheese just two weeks ago. (Thanks, girls)
Ham and cheese melt.
I hid while I ate it so I didn't have to share.

garden's coming along....

All of my students over for fried chicken and a lot of other American goodies.  We were given a deep fry-er and thanks to that, we cooked up this meal in just a few minutes!

Bought these chairs with "family planning" in mind.  The adoption is moving along steadily, we hope to be matched with our boys soon.  Jojo loves her puzzle floor map...she has yet to find Ethiopia on the map, but she can find China and America! haha
As a side note, Joelle can string three words together now, "Mommy! hurt! sorry." (for after she is too rough) or "Addian! kuai lai" (Come quickly, Adrian)
As I'm writing this I'm just now realizing just how bilingual she already is- wow, it gives me goosebumps!
Kids here start kindergarten when they are THREE years old... I just hope she is fluent by then to understand her teacher and friends.

This picture below has the potential for a thousand funny captions. To me it looks like she just "layed an egg" but layed a dog instead.  Or the dog is saying "Thanks for cracking my back, kid." oh the possibilities.


No comments: